Main Menu

Your Favorite Series?

Started by TheRaven, September 03, 2013, 05:45:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheRaven

I've never actually played MM 64 or the PC port so I can't really tell if they are or not. I just thought it'd be a bit easier to use a N64 emulator compared to a PS1 emulator. :P

Weejus

Quote from: "TheRaven"I've never actually played MM 64 or the PC port so I can't really tell if they are or not. I just thought it'd be a bit easier to use a N64 emulator compared to a PS1 emulator. :P

From what I've heard the sound quality in the N64 version is crap compared to the PS1 version. That said, it makes sense since the PS1 uses CD-ROMs and the N64 uses cartridges.

TheRaven

Yep that is true, while I haven't listened to the music in MM 64 I have played Gex 2 on both the PS1 and N64 and the PS1 is miles better in sound quality but the N64 has a higher polygon count making the models look smoother than on the PS1 which is a 32 bit console as opposed to a 64 bit one. :)

iXerro

My favorite series personally was Battle Network. Even though the series came out later in my childhood, it still holds a lot of memories for me. Second would have to be Legends, and then Zero. As amazing as the classic side-scrolling games were (And still are), I played Battle Network and Legends 1 way more than pretty much any game at that time. Unfortunately I was never able to get Legends 2, and looking at the prices of it in recent years I might just have to hope they re-release it as a port.

Though in complete irony, I never liked the classic Megaman series. I love X, Zero, and ZX, but I could never enjoy the originals for some reason.

Weejus

Ok, so I just restarted Battle Network, and this little kid is explaining to me what a PET is, saying that it's 'a cell phone that can do a lot more' and it can 'send mail, use electronic money, and read textbooks'. Kind of scary to think that only a decade later, the vast majority of actual phones can do that.

TheRaven

That is pretty scary how accurate that description is, even if it's from a video game. Reminds me back in high school one of my teachers who had worked at the school since it first opened 15 years ago asked the class to come up with an invention. Someone thought of a cellphone that can go online and do more than just calling and texting, and they were on the right track with how cellphones ended up to be. This was back in 1998 or 1999 when they came up with the project. It's amazing how far we've come from a technical standpoint.

MechaGS

The main issue now is we're slowing down again in terms of innovation. In terms of raw power, we seem to be piling in more than ever before but that's not what drives the industries. :)

On topic: Megaman's been an amazing series just for the ideas it comes with. I mean, we've got pretty good robots now (not at the point they're at) but the X games for example are set past 21XX so you never know, maybe we'll reach that goal too.

Weejus

I remember during Game Grumps' Mega Man 2 playthrough they talked about the guy who created Siri (don't know his name)'s thesis that society is as fast paced as the most advanced technology available, for example, smartphones. Very fast. As a result, we're making technological advancements way faster than we did 20 or 30 years ago. Who knows, in another 10 years' time, we might be living in a Mega Man Battle Network-esque future, and you gotta admit, that would be pretty amazing.

supernet2

The 64 series vs the ps1 series are different the 64 series audio is a bit better in my opinion at least during the opening when the "diggers" story is told, for Megaman legends 1, and megaman 64. As for the 2nd installment, not sure if it was release ever on n64. i know it was re-released on psp or perhaps that was a psx version i have for my psp. i know megaman legends 1 was released on the psp, and i have that, but it was a import. Megaman legends 2... im unsure of if it was released on psp.

TheRaven

Yeah the second game was never released on any other console but the Playstation. I don't think it got a port to anything else either, but I could be wrong on that one. :V

Mighty No. 9

Classic, X and EXE were my favorites series! full of so many epic moments I adored! the designs and music were just top notch!  :beckcool

Weejus

Quote from: "supernet2"The 64 series vs the ps1 series are different the 64 series audio is a bit better in my opinion at least during the opening when the "diggers" story is told, for Megaman legends 1, and megaman 64. As for the 2nd installment, not sure if it was release ever on n64. i know it was re-released on psp or perhaps that was a psx version i have for my psp. i know megaman legends 1 was released on the psp, and i have that, but it was a import. Megaman legends 2... im unsure of if it was released on psp.

Both Mega Man Legends 1 and 2 were released on PSP, but only the first one was released on N64.

MechaGS

Quote from: "Weejus"
Quote from: "supernet2"The 64 series vs the ps1 series are different the 64 series audio is a bit better in my opinion at least during the opening when the "diggers" story is told, for Megaman legends 1, and megaman 64. As for the 2nd installment, not sure if it was release ever on n64. i know it was re-released on psp or perhaps that was a psx version i have for my psp. i know megaman legends 1 was released on the psp, and i have that, but it was a import. Megaman legends 2... im unsure of if it was released on psp.

Both Mega Man Legends 1 and 2 were released on PSP, but only the first one was released on N64.

They... were? *Goes to check PSN!*

Ahhh no!!! Only in Japan. Now I'm sad. :becksad

iXerro

Quote from: "MechaGS"
Quote from: "Weejus"

They... were? *Goes to check PSN!*

Ahhh no!!! Only in Japan. Now I'm sad. :becksad

You didn't know? That's why Legends fans were so pissed! Not only was Legends 3 cancelled, but only Japan got re-releases of the first two games. Even despite everyone crying out for western localization, Capcom ignored their fans. Maybe after pulling the plug on Legends 3, they saw no need to attempt to introduce new fans to a dead series?

MechaGS

Quote from: "iXerro"You didn't know? That's why Legends fans were so pissed! Not only was Legends 3 cancelled, but only Japan got re-releases of the first two games. Even despite everyone crying out for western localization, Capcom ignored their fans. Maybe after pulling the plug on Legends 3, they saw no need to attempt to introduce new fans to a dead series?

I tend to avoid news with "Japan only" in the title so I missed this entirely. I guess you could say that even though I'm late to the party, I get why they're all pissed!

Capcom know there's a huge following for Mega Man in the West and yet they continue to treat us like second-class citizens. They're business model really grinds my gears. :beckshocked