Main Menu

Dragon Ball Series (DB, DBZ & GT)

Started by MechaGS, September 08, 2013, 03:21:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weejus

Quote from: "MechaGS"It's all good Wildspark. I still can't believe they got rid of Toonami over here.

Thing is, in the UK, they got rid of Toonami so they could replace it with Cartoon Network Too, which was basically a home for all of CN's shows that were cancelled or had finished their run on CN, and that was a good thing at the time, since by 2007 all the shows I loved as a child were long over, but now it's full of CN's mid-2000s rubbish, so it's kind of useless now.

astarisborn94

Saw the series on Toonami as a child and I loved Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z. Hopefully DBZ will get a Blu-Ray collection without widescreen so that fans can finally get an affordable release that's decent (the Orange Box's release is terrible and I won't buy such a bad product).

Weejus

@astarisborn94: I don't mind the DBZ Orange Bricks, although even I did, I'd have to deal with it as it's the only DVD release of DBZ that the UK has. No original Funi dub singles, no Dragon Boxes, no Rock the Dragon edition, no Ultimate Uncuts, no Level X.X Blu-rays.

MechaGS

I don't think that 80's anime works when up-scaled too much. There are already errors in the DB, DBZ and GT Remaster DVD's. So, with that, I'll stick to the DVD's as I don't mind too much about it not being on Blu-Ray.

Anon

it's okayyyyy... (buteveryoneislieksoooopthatitgetsboringandthesamethinghappenesoverandoveragaindbwazdabestdbzwasokgtwasliekwthmanbutoverallitwasokayyyyyyyyyy...)

astarisborn94

Quote from: "Weejus"@astarisborn94: I don't mind the DBZ Orange Bricks, although even I did, I'd have to deal with it as it's the only DVD release of DBZ that the UK has. No original Funi dub singles, no Dragon Boxes, no Rock the Dragon edition, no Ultimate Uncuts, no Level X.X Blu-rays.

Yeah it is pretty disappointing that the DBZ Orange Bricks is the only boxset available in the UK for fans. Hopefully, a better release will come eventually that doesn't force upon widescreen cropping.

MechaGS

Since the movie is linked to 20th Century Fox, I've taken down the link. We don't need their wrath upon us. :D

I personally love my orange bricks. I have the original Japanese release from the early 90's (40 DVD set) and now I have most of the re-mastered sets. I only need the last two to complete it and the last one isn't out yet.

I won't be buying on Blu-Ray or that because I don't see the point. The anime is so old and the fact that it's been stretched already shows that it'll never be a clean upscaling.

I'll just keep the DVD's and enjoy the madness. :P

Weejus

Funimation discontinued the DBZ Blu-rays early on anyway, I think they only got up to the end of the Saiyan saga.

MechaGS

Quote from: "Weejus"Funimation discontinued the DBZ Blu-rays early on anyway, I think they only got up to the end of the Saiyan saga.

I'm guessing they weren't a popular move after everyone bought the DVD sets. Should have done simultanous releases so that people could have chosen which they'd have liked.

Demon_skeith

Well the DB series has so many different releases and kai release everyone has it and the fans will only buy so many.

MechaGS

I think Funimation have rode the Dragon Ball series to death and it would be nice for them to ease up on it a bit. Although, I also know it's what keeps them afloat as it's their best selling license so they want to keep up momentum.

The best thing they could do is re-master the movies.

Weejus

Quote from: "MechaGS"The best thing they could do is re-master the movies.

They already did that.

MechaGS

Quote from: "Weejus"
Quote from: "MechaGS"The best thing they could do is re-master the movies.

They already did that.

This is what I get for not keeping up with the US releases. :P

I'm not sure what they could do now then. They really are beating a dead horse in terms of content to release.

Weejus

There's always Battle of Gods. Also, the reason Funimation beat DBZ like it's a dead horse is because DBZ is pretty much the most popular anime in the US and (to a lesser extent) Europe. People will continue to buy the rereleases as time goes on. There's proof of this. Japan's government gave Toei Animation funding to make BoG due to DBZ's 'enduring popularity'.

Weejus

Akira Toriyama has revealed that Goku's mother is called Gine, and that if another DBZ movie were to be made, Vegeta would be the protagonist.

On the home release front, the UK will have all of Dragon Ball and DBGT by the end of the year.

Dragon Ball GT

Season 1: Jan 20th

Season 2: March 17th

Dragon Ball

Season 1: May 5th

Season 2: July 7th

Season 3: August 25th

Season 4: October 13th

Season 5: December 8th