Main Menu

Good Movies

Started by NinjablazerZero, September 17, 2013, 10:24:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NinjablazerZero

I'm running out of movies to watch on Netflix while I eat dinner. I need your help!

They set me up the bomb! Incoming transmission! All our movie are belong to them! Scramble all the Zig! FOR GREAT JUSTICE!!

Seriously, though, help me figure out what to watch.

TheRaven

What's your favorite genre? I personally love horror films the most and I feel that Stephen King's It is a wonderful movie that is creepy as hell if you are afraid of clowns, demon clowns that is. :P

MechaGS

Quote from: TheRavenWhat's your favorite genre? I personally love horror films the most and I feel that Stephen King's It is a wonderful movie that is creepy as hell if you are afraid of clowns, demon clowns that is. :P

Oh, It's amazingly creepy. I love pennywise and his many crazy adventures. :D

I only really watch movies I have a big interest in, like martial arts or action. I recommend Ip Man and Ip Man 2 if you can see them as they're based on the true story of the master of Bruce Lee. They're also really good all-round movies.

NinjablazerZero

I've already seen both Ip Man films. They are really great and I love them. They really got me interested in Donnie Yen as an actor, and also Wing Chun as a martial arts style.

I like action and martial arts films quite a bit. Not really a fan of horror movies, on the basis that they are rather predictable and the scares can never seem to be scary enough to get over that wall. But I guess that happens to you when you play RE3 at 6 years old and have Nemesis overload your scare factory.

MechaGS

Quote from: NinjablazerZeroI've already seen both Ip Man films. They are really great and I love them. They really got me interested in Donnie Yen as an actor, and also Wing Chun as a martial arts style.

It's definitely Donnie Yen's best work and it's nice to know someone else who's seen the movies. I tend to find that people didn't even know Bruce Lee had a master. :P

Quote from: NinjablazerZeroI like action and martial arts films quite a bit. Not really a fan of horror movies, on the basis that they are rather predictable and the scares can never seem to be scary enough to get over that wall. But I guess that happens to you when you play RE3 at 6 years old and have Nemesis overload your scare factory.

I'm not much of a horror movie person but only because I'm much the same way as you. I played horror games at a young age (Resi, Silent Hill, etc) and they all brought me out of that scare-bracket.

Have you seen the Taken movies with Liam Neeson? The first one's epic and the second one's just good enough to pass. Give them a look if you haven't. :)

NinjablazerZero

Ahh, Taken, such a wonderful movie. I've seen the first, but not the second. Quite eager to see the second. There are quite a bit of Liam Neeson films I've yet to see, now that you mention him.

But yeah, I'm really big into Martial arts and whatnot. Mostly just theory and watching though, cause I'm too lazy to actually do it myself. XD. I do have a friend that actually is training to be a professional fighter, though, and he practices Wing Chun, so that's where I learned of Ip Man from. If those movies are accurate, Ip Man definitely had some crazy impossible speed.

Though, kinda sad martial arts films don't get as much love anymore. Not many movies out there showing off different styles and such.

MechaGS

I'd imagine you've seen all of the good Martial Arts movies but I'll throw a few I love down, just in case:

- Ong-Bak

- Chocolate

- Kung Fu Hustle

- Shaolin Soccer

- 13 Assassins

- The Raid

NinjablazerZero

Oh wow, lol, I've seen all of those except Chocolate and The Raid.

Kung Fu Hustle is definitely awesome. Perfect blend of comedy and Kung Fu. I'm so angry it's not on Netflix!! And while Ong-Bak had great fight scenes and an awesome chase scene, the narrative was rather... lacking. 13 Assassins was also really great.

I'm writing those other two down to watch for later.

Weejus

I'm a big fan of Edgar Wright's films, the most well-known being the Three Flavours Cornetto trilogy, which consists of Shaun of the Dead, Hot Fuzz, and The World's End (which is currently in US cinemas and I HIGHLY recommend seeing). Wright also did the film adaptation of Scott Pilgrim vs. The World, which is also very good.

A few other of my favourite films are Forrest Gump, The Time Traveller's Wife, and Kill Bill.

Also, despite how much I love Dragon Ball Z, there's only a few DBZ films I like: Dead Zone, the first Broly movie, and The History of Trunks. That said, I haven't seen all of them so I may change my mind.

Wildspark

Have you seen Enter the dragon starring Bruce Lee? I saw it for the first time last year and I thought the at the fighting scenes were really good. It got a little gory at the end though. Another movie that I really like is Kiss Kiss Bang Bang. It's a detective movie starring Robert Downey Jr about a thief that accidentally gets a role in a movie as a detective and then he lies to a girl and claims to be a real detective and helps her find out who killed her sister. It was really funny and also really cool.

NinjablazerZero

Ahh, Hot Fuzz and Shaun of the Dead are awesome. I've yet to see the Worlds End, but I plan on it. No doubt it's gonna be a good one. As for Scott Pilgrim vs. The World, it was awesome. I liked it personally, and a friend of mine, who obsesses over the comics, loves it and says it stays faithful to the comics, so I give that film a big up for that. Really hate when movies like that stray from the source material, but Scott Pilgrim vs. the World did not, and that is great.

Also, Kill Bill is on my top all time movies, of all time. I'm not one to usually put things in a definite, ranked order, but I make and exception to that for 2 films. Those being Kill Bill, and Pulp Fiction. Two of the greatest films by Tarantino.

Enter the Dragon is pretty good. I've seen most of Bruce Lee's films, and yes, I have to agree that the fighting was top notch in that one. As for that second you mentioned, I'm gonna have to keep an eye out for it. Never heard of it, but sounds interesting.

MechaGS

I feel the need to recommend three rather unusual but under-appreciated movies:-

- Machete

- Hobo with a Shotgun

- Tucker and Dale vs Evil (this one's just hilarious)

Ryusei

No Country For Old Men and Gran Torino come to my mind right now.

Bazinga!

I just watched X-Men : Days of Furture Past this last Friday at the theater.  I enjoyed it and I would recommend it to you when it is released on dvd/blu-ray. 

Beck

I don't know of this is on Netfilx or not, but you should watch Brick. It's a mystery movie starring Joseph Gordon-Levitt and it's pretty great.