Main Menu

Capcom and its five year plan.

Started by M#39719 Vince, January 24, 2014, 12:01:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

M#39719 Vince

tailszero

Whelp. Capcom keeps on kicking themselves away from the hardcore crowd, and into the casual crowd.

Raiiban

Ryusei

DLC can be good or bad, but a good question would be "Which already released games will receive more DLC?".

ThePrinceOfMoose

"(1) downloadable content (DLC), (2) mobile contents, (3) online operations, and (4) brand contents"

"(1) downloadable content (DLC)"

"(DLC)"

Are you kidding me?  Are you fucking kidding me?  Apparently Capcom has not gotten the hint yet that they are in no real position to take risks and DLC has been viewed as a cancer in the gaming community.  Their number one thing they are going to focus on is DLC.  I don't know if Capcom got the memo, but people really don't want to buy UNFINISHED GAMES!

TheRaven

Really DLC is their number one priority not brand contents or anything else?! Well then it's safe to say that a Mega Man title probably won't be in the near future and even if it is it'll probably be on a mobile device and a shitty game... >_>

Ryusei

Quote from: ThePrinceOfMooseApparently Capcom has not gotten the hint yet that they are in no real position to take risks

They know that well. That's why they stopped pursuing the fabled CoD Audience and now aspire to cash in with cheap to make shit like DLC and mobile gaming (which is the latest fad in Japan).

Quoteand DLC has been viewed as a cancer in the gaming community

Their current audience doesn't mind. The average joe buys DLC all the time, in the West and in Japan (Mobile games and freemium stuff).

You know what's worse than DLC? A revision of a game with some extra content sold at full price and no DLC option to upgrade the earlier version (Thinking about Monster Hunter right now, those fuckers).

On disc DLC is cancerous, DLC announced before the game even had a couple months out is cancerous, DLC that can give an unfair advantage in versus multiplayer games is cancerous, etc.

But there're cases where it's both beneficial for the company and the player:

Additional content for games already released a good time ago such as Dark Souls's AotA or Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance's Sam & Wolf episodes (which later even became free to download for everyone), optional cosmetic DLC that doesn't affect how the game plays, and as a mean to upgrade to a newer version of the game (such as Ultra Street Fighter IV).

When done right it can (because it's optional) extend the life of games you already have, which is nice.

Most DLC is of the cancerous type though. But then again it is true the development cost of games has been increasing with the years, while the pricetag of the regular console game has been stuck (in US) at 60$, so it is understandable the publishers will want to keep their revenue levels and thus try to cash in with microtransactions.

Without the DLC incentive, they may as well release games with less content to keep their profit margins (which happens too, but imagine how it'd be if DLC didn't exist).

I'd rather have a good or at least decent console game with lots of DLCs than a cellphone app. Capcom's biggest fuck up for the (westerner) consumer is the latter.

ThePrinceOfMoose

Quote from: TheRavenReally DLC is their number one priority not brand contents or anything else?! Well then it's safe to say that a Mega Man title probably won't be in the near future and even if it is it'll probably be on a mobile device and a shitty game... >_>

What's that Raven?  I hear you want a Megaman Xover 2!  Let it be so!!!!!!

MechaGS

The future, as Japanese developers see it is mobile gaming. Even Nintendo's under pressure at the moment from their shareholders to start making mobile games since they sell very well in the Asian market.

I'm honestly not surprised that Capcom are going the DLC route. They're DLC implementations in the past have been a joke and they'll continue the sharade until they either die or go full-on mobile, leaving behind consoles due to the costs they claim they incur by developing for multiple platforms.

Quote from: ThePrinceOfMoose
Quote from: TheRavenReally DLC is their number one priority not brand contents or anything else?! Well then it's safe to say that a Mega Man title probably won't be in the near future and even if it is it'll probably be on a mobile device and a shitty game... >_>

What's that Raven?  I hear you want a Megaman Xover 2!  Let it be so!!!!!!

If they release any more Mega Man mobile games... I may have to take a trip to Japan and slap their CEO about the face with a wet fish!

Byas

Well, hope that this plan will help them go bankrupt faster. Maybe someone who can take care of their IPs take them if this happens.

NinjablazerZero

Capcom is dieing. They are currently in their death throes. People keep quitting their company to make their own dev firms, or work for another because they are a shitty place to work for. So bad people contemplate suicide because of all the shit they get there. The first flaw of their plan is thinking they can hire 500 devs, cause chances are, they can't even keep 100 by the end of these next five years, if they are around after 2.

As for the rest of them. There's no need to comment. They are gonna kill themselves focusing on the mobile crowd. They are driving themselves higher and higher up a wall with DLC policies. Quite literally, the only thing keeping them alive right now is Monster Hunter. It's the only franchise they have that they haven't either killed, or turned into so much shit that fans have jumped ship. It's amazing how one game series is saving them from all of their fuckups, but it's only a matter of time.

Quite frankly, I hope Capcom dies as soon as possible. I want the bidding for all their IPs to start right now. And Nintendo better step up and take Megaman so that he can be revived.

Swan Dive

I've never bought a DLC for any console game and don't plan on starting any time soon.  Wait, actually there is one- the Teto Utauloid mod for Project Diva F, just because I love their company so darn much for bring Miku to the USA.  

I miss the good old days with Capcom. I haven't bought a game of theirs since DMC3 (which was used anyway), and probably won't be doing anymore business with them for the next 5 years if all they plan on releasing is DLC.  And don't get me started on what went through my mind when I saw what they were doing to the Breath of Fire franchise.. :x

MechaGS

Quote from: NinjablazerZeroQuite frankly, I hope Capcom dies as soon as possible. I want the bidding for all their IPs to start right now. And Nintendo better step up and take Megaman so that he can be revived.

While I don't like the idea of Megaman being locked to Nintendo platforms only, they're still the front-runners to me.

The only other company I would probably trust with Megaman is WayForward.

TheCloudyEye

WayForward did a good job of reviving Contra with Contra 4. I don't think I can trust anyone else with Mega Man other than those guys.

NinjablazerZero

Quote from: MechaGS
Quote from: NinjablazerZeroQuite frankly, I hope Capcom dies as soon as possible. I want the bidding for all their IPs to start right now. And Nintendo better step up and take Megaman so that he can be revived.

While I don't like the idea of Megaman being locked to Nintendo platforms only, they're still the front-runners to me.

The only other company I would probably trust with Megaman is WayForward.

I don't like the either either, but right now, they are the only ones that do platformers right these days that can actually afford to buy any IP from a company. I doubt Wayforward is big enough to afford to buy Megaman, even if it is from a dieing company desperate for cash.